Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The first "official" post!




Okay here we go, first blog post! First question, why blog? Hmm, I don’t have a firm answer for that. I could say because a lot of other hams are doing it…but I suppose that by itself isn’t the best answer! Part of it is definitely the desire to communicate. I like to think that’s why most of use became amateur radio operators in the first place. In my opinion, some of the better blog and web sites by hams are he ones that offer something beyond a ‘brag file’. While it’s nice to see other operator’s set-ups and hear about their on air exploits, the better sites also offer something extra…a reason to check back from time to time. In some cases it may be tips and tricks on specific aspects of the hobby. These could include antennas, operating, certain modes, chasing DX, etc. Sometimes they act as portals to other interesting sites.

So….as this site develops, I’ll endeavour to provide some of those extras. There won’t be too much ‘bragging’ as my station is very modest (okay if I get a really juicy catch, or do something really neat, there may be a little boast here and there!). In fact my focus for this site will be on resources for what I call the “small gun” station (sounds more respectable than pee-shooter!). While the “big guns” have multiple yagis and directional antennas to choose from, with a nice 1KW Amp to add the punch, the rest of us (the majority!) are running 100 watts into something a little less flashy. In my case it’s a home brew windom that tunes 40 thru 6 meters. Here’s a link that’ll give you the basic of a windom if you’re interested: http://www.zcr.jp/~tada/JA7KPI/windom.html

Well that’ll do if for now. This site is in the very beginning stages and I’ll be working on it as time permits! Check back often & feel free to drop a line.

73, Greg


No comments:

Post a Comment