Sunday, March 22, 2009

Radio hobby looses a champion.

Brian Smith left us this past week at the far too young age of 52. A paramedic for 26 years with the Toronto EMS, saving lives was part of his day-to-day life. In fact even after death Brian has likely saves several lives through organ donation. On the radio side Brian was an avid SWL and radio enthusiast. He was a long-time member of a group with which I’ve been involved for many years, the Ontario DX Association, serving in recent years as its Chairman. He was also moderator of a very popular Yahoo group for fans of Toronto radio station AM740 (CFZM, formerly CHWO), and befriended many at the station over the years. He also served as the station's QSL manager (it’s a 50KW clear channel station, so does get many reports from around the world)! A read through that on-line group and that of the ODXA proves Brian touched many, many lives in the radio hobby.

I can’t say I knew Brian nearly as well as some, as my job took me a few hours away from the Greater Toronto area about 16 years ago. However, I had the opportunity to talk with him many times on the phone, via email, at ODXA functions, a couple of “DX Camps” many years back, and pretty much any Ham Radio Fleamarket I’ve attended in the last decade or so. Brian was tireless in his efforts to promote the ODXA and the hobby he loved and attended the majority of Hamfests across southern Ontario manning a booth on behalf of the club. Mostly, I remember an extremely friendly person, warm greeting and conversation, and just an all round nice, gentle guy.

When something like this happens, you can’t help but sit back and think of your own mortality. A little over a week ago, Brian was his normal self, and then suddenly he was lying in hospital unconscious, the victim of an brain aneurism. This is particularly poignant for me as it was that same ailment that took the life of my mother 25 years ago, and something for which I’ve undergone tests (with negative results, thankfully).

Brian Smith, 1956-2009, he will be missed. Rest well my friend.

For those who are able make it, there will be a memorial service Thursday, March 26th at 11:00 AM. It will be held at the Toronto EMS Headquarters, located at 4330 Dufferin Street (corner of Dufferin & Steeprock Drive - north of Sheppard Ave) in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment